- PhD, MA - Digital Signal Processing, Cambridge University 1993-1997
- BA - Electrical & Information Science, Cambridge University 1988-1991
- GCE 6 A-levels and 10 O-levels - Victoria College, Jersey, UK 1984-1988
- TWGHs Lee Ching Dea Memorial College, Hong Kong 1981-1984
- Kiangsu-Chekiang Primary School and Kindergarten (taught in Mandarin), Hong Kong 1973-1981
- French: "Ecole Le Château, Antibes", "Accord - Ecole de Langues, Paris"; "Lyon Bleu Int’l, Lyon", France (Jan-Apr 2006, Apr-May 2007)
- Japanese: The Yamasa Institute, Okazaki, Japan (Sep-Nov 2008)
- Founder and Chief Consultant, Decisive Consulting, 2002-present
- Co-founder, Partner, Dark Horse Investment, 2008-present
- Senior Consultant, Simitri Group, 2010-present
- Co-founder, Meephone.com, 2006-present
- President (Strategic Partnership), Connet, 2009-present
- Business Builder (co-CEO China), a-connect, 2004-2005
- China Country Manager / Director of Sales and Business Development, Englishtown.com (an EF company), 2003-2004
- Director, Portable Innovation Technology Ltd, 2001-2002
- COO, SpikeCyberWorks, 2000-2001
- Director of Business Development, oCen Communications, 2000
- Junior Engagement Manager, McKinsey & Co, 1997-2000
- System Developer, CEDAR Audio Ltd, 1991-1993
- Executive Committee, Internet Professional Association (iProA), 2009-present
- Member, Metropolitan Lions Club, 2009-present
- Executive Committee, French Alumni Association Hong Kong 2007-present
- Founder, Leglessbird.com lifestyle community site, 2002-present
- Executive Committee, The Friends of Cambridge University in Hong Kong, 2001-present
- Queen's Gold Medal for Mathematics, presented by Her Majesty The Queen, 1989
- Founder and Director, Cambridge Movies Workshop, 1988-1996
- President, Cambridge University Chinese Society 1990-1991
Skills and training
- Fluent in both spoken and written English, Mandarin and Cantonese, basic French and Japanese
- Proposal writing, Financial analysis, Presentation and Communication
- Document processing: Excel, Words, PowerPoint
- Web hosting, Content Management System, network
- Travelling, movies, reading, hiking, scuba diving (PADI certified), hi-tech consumer electronics (PDA, digital camera, notebook), ten-pin bowling
- Organizing activities for alumni groups Cambridge University; McKinsey alumni; Croucher foundation.
Decisive Consulting, Founder and Chief Consultant
Dark Horse Investment, Co-founder, Partner
Simitri Group, Senior Consultant
Connet, President, Strategic Partnership
I joined a-connect in September 2004 to open and co-head the Hong Kong office. a-connect was founded in Zurich in 2002 by two former Directors of McKinsey & Company, it helps large companies in-source professional talent (Independent Professionals) on a project basis. We are a professional staffing business focused to high caliber individuals who usually have worked at a top tier consulting firm or in a senior management role of an international firm, and have an MBA or equivalent degree from a top tier university.
2003-2004 Englishtown, EF Company
I joined Englishtown.com in Jan 2003 as the Director of Sales and Business Development and China Country Manager. Englishtown.com is the leading Internet service for the world’s largest educational market, English language training. Englishtown provides students and corporations with live, teacher-led classes that combine voice-enabled virtual classrooms with rich multimedia content. It is a majority-owned subsidiary of EF Education, the world’s largest brick-and-mortar English training company and a dominant player in a market in excess of 50 billion dollars.
2001-2002 Portable Innovation Technology
On September 2001, I became a Director of a Hong Kong based advance technology company called "Portable Innovation Technology" that specialises in PDA/Mobile/Wireless solutions, more specifically, it has 3 areas of businesses, a) Hardware: PDA peripheral modules; b) Software: Application development; c) Enterprise Solution: Customised mobile solution for corporations. As one of the directors of the company, I was responsible for the company's overall strategy and business development. Portable Innovation Technology is the ODM/OEM for Legend's (the largest computer brand in China) first Palm-powered handheld device.
2000-2001 Spike CyberWorks
In September 2000, I joined as the Head of Strategy and Client Relations of Spike CyberWorks ('A new economy e-consulting company') which was a joint venture of Pacific Century CyberWorks (PCCW) and Spike Network (Australia). I became the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Spike CyberWorks, Hong Kong in December 2000. Spike was taken over by a GEM-listed company in Hong Kong called TechPacific in Feb 2001 and TP-Factory (a wholly owned subsidary of TechPacific) was mergered into Spike Hong Kong. I continued to lead the enlarged team until I left Spike at the end of August 2001, after spending exactly 12 months there.
2000 oCen Communications
Between March and August 2000, I worked for oCen Communications as the marketing manager. oCen is an internet communication service provider with head quarter in Los Angeles, oCen specialises in Voice over IP (VoIP), corporate unified messaging service and online collaboration tools. I was promoted to Director of Business Development just before I left and joined Spike CyberWorks.
1997-2000 McKinsey & Company
In January 97, I returned to Hong Kong after completing my Ph.D degree to work as a consultant for a leading international management consultancy firm called McKinsey & Company for over 3 years. During that time, I was advising large multi-national corporations as well as Asian conglomerates (including companies based in China) on critical strategic issues, I specialised in the high-tech, multimedia and telecommunication sectors, I have also been working on projects in the financial and pharmaceutical inductries. I left McKinsey in March 2000.
1993-1997 Undergraduate Supervisor
1991-1993 Cedar Audio
In between my undergraduate degree (1988-1991) and PhD degree (1993-Jan 1997), I worked in a Cambridge based hi-tech company called CEDAR Audio Ltd as system development engineer using Digital Signal Processing. CEDAR is the world leader in hi-tech professional audio processing.